Did you know your windows should be deep cleaned at least twice a year? That means the windows need to be squeegeed, the sills and tracks need to be cleaned of debris, the blinds need to be dusted, and the window treatments need to be updated! Spring is the perfect time to get one of your yearly window cleanings in! You’ll appreciate those sparkling windows when you’re watching all of the New England blossoms.
Clean & Squeegee Your Windows
Many people believe that squeegees are the key to sparkling windows! They are surprisingly simple to use. Just follow these steps
- Make a window cleaning solution using a bucket of warm water and a few drops of dish soap
- Use a sponge & cleaning solution to rub dirt away from your window
- Dampen squeegee. Starting at an upper corner draw your squeegee down from top to bottom, overlapping your strokes. Make sure to wipe the rubber edge of your squeegee with a sponge after each stroke!
Outside debris like leaves, seeds, pollen, dust, and dirt can build up along your window sills and vertical tracks. This area should be cleaned regularly to avoid damaging your window tracks and to make it easier for you to open up your windows. Get rid of the dried materials on your window sills and tracks using either a shop-vac with a brush attachment or loosen up debris with a stiff brush and direct towards your vacuum hose. Wipe up any excess debris using a damp sponge.
Don’t forget your blinds! These should be cleaned about once or twice a year.
- Wood Blinds – wipe with a few drops of gentle wood cleaner on a nearly dry sponge
- Aluminum blinds – Wash outdoors on a slanted surface using water and a noncorrosive cleaner. Rinse well with a water hose & dry thoroughly with a towel
Update your Window Treatments
We’ve written a whole blog post about this! Visit our Spring Window Treatment post here.